Subject: Re: viaide0:0:0: lost interrupt
To: Uair <uair@acelerate.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-amd64
Date: 05/20/2005 15:23:08
On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 11:22:58PM -0400, Uair wrote:
> Hi:
> I've just acquired a MSI K8T NEO (VIA K8T800 Chipset based) motherboard with
> a AMD Athlon 64 Processor and a Hitachi 40 Gb SATA disk on it, and I begun
> the installation of NetBSD/AMD64 2.0.2 on this hardware, but I could not
> finish it because when I boot the install system I get the following
> message:
> viaide0:0:0: lost interrupt

This *could* be an interrupt routing issue (or a bug in the driver, but as
it works in NetBSD/i386, I'd check interrupt first)

> [...]
> It's the exact same problem that msmith@edtech.mcc.edu posted on 02/10/2005.
> And later on msmith@edtech.mcc.edu posted that he finally installed
> NetBSD/i386 2.0 on his system so I emulated him. I've just installed
> NetBSD/i386 2.0.2 on my system and everything went ok; but now I'm worried
> about my pc "health", I mean, isn't it some kind of dangeours for my
> processor to run NetBSD/i386 instead of NetBSD/AMD64?
> isn't it some kind of dangerous for any other piece of hardware (like the
> motherboard)?

No, it's not dangerous at all for hardware. AMD64 was designed to be binary
backward-compatible with i386 OSes. You just won't use all the features
of the amd64 architecture (the extra registers and the extended intruction
set)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>