Port-alpha archive

Re: Yes, NetBSD still boots on pretty ancient Alphas...

> On Jul 26, 2021, at 9:01 AM, Istvan Gyenes <igyenes%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>

> On 7/25/2021 9:39 PM, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>> [ 6.7016639] root on md0a dumps on md0b
>>> [   6.7465883] root file system type: ffs
>>> [   6.7905274] kern.module.path=/stand/alpha/9.99.87/modules
>> But I'm super excited about this ^^^ !
>>
>>> Have to tried to istall but will do hopefully tomorrow!
>> Looking forward to your report!
>>
>> -- thorpej
>
> Installed, and booted to multi-user. I think I have to dig up some old ISA network card to try to get ethernet working. :)

   YAY!
    /
\o/

/ \

Would you please upload the SRM and kernel boot messages to https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/  ?  It will serve as a resource for others later.

OMG, I can't believe for how many years we were stuck on a stupid bug in the SCSI driver.

Anyway, as for Ethernet -- I definitely want to fix the DEPCA driver, if it's broken; hopefully that's the case, and not an issue with the board.  Does your board have an RJ45 connector?  I don't recall if any of the ISA DEPCA boards did.  Luckily, you can still find DEC DE204 boards on eBay (has RJ45 connector, supported by "lc" driver -- I have one in my AXPpci33, and SRM can even boot from it on that machine).

Pretty easy to find 3com ISA boards, too.

-- thorpej