Port-alpha archive

Re: (unrelated) Re: NetBSD on Digital Personal Workstation 433a

On Feb 19, 2019, at 6:00 PM, Dustin Marquess <dmarquess%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> I seem to recall block size still being an issue on some of the Alphas?
>
> I had an external SCSI CD-RW drive that I kept just because it
> supported the 2k block size, and since it was SCSI, it made it easy to
> use with all of my Alphas...

A 2048-byte sector size is standard for CD optical media data disks.  What I remember being necessary for Alpha and Sun equipment was to be able to jumper the drive to present 512-byte sectors to be able to boot from CD.  I used a Plextor with my DEC 3000/300 Alpha because it had a jumper that allowed you to do this to the drive.

Cheers,

Paul.