Subject: Re: NetBSD INSTALL kernel and Multia IDE controller [wdc0]
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: None <sfmc68@verizon.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/11/2007 17:02:15
>From: Professor Moriarty <bofh.h4x@gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/04/10 Tue PM 07:28:06 CDT
>To: port-alpha@netbsd.org
>Subject: NetBSD INSTALL kernel and Multia IDE controller [wdc0]

>Hello,
>
>I seem to be having a bizarre problem with my Multia. Namely, on the
>NetBSD INSTALL kernel, it does not recognise the wdc0 IDE controller.
>As I would like to place the system root on a 128Mb CompactFlash card
>and boot off floppy, I need IDE. However, it seems to not be
>recognised whatsoever. It finds com0, com1 and lpt1 all fine, however.
>
>Is there a fix for this, or is it safe to say that the IDE controller
>is borken and I need to get a pcmcia->CF adapter?
>
>Thanks,
>Vasily
While this may not sound helpful evil doctor, what version of NetBSD are you trying to use? That would be helpful info to narrow the focus.  I believe there were some limitations on the IDE controller, as cited by others, it was a high density - 44 pin with power and ide control iirc, been years since I dusted off my multia, but It is not safe to assume the the IDE controller is borken, it is safe to assume that it is a bit different and may not have support in the install kernel because of the diffs in multia. I have had no problems with ide on other boxes - during boot - but multia was a reason to say bad things.
bob