Subject: RTC on AlphaStation 600
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/03/2003 05:20:41
--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

Okay, this is a two-part question:
I have an AlphaStation 600 5/266, which has a DS1287 RTC (mcclock(4)) on the
motherboard. Maxim/Dallas Semiconductor is sending me a DS12887 (which is
their replacement for the 'outdated' DS1287, supposedly pin-compatible) for
free. My questions are:

1) will mcclock(4) know WTF is going on if I replace the DS1287 RTC with a
   DS12887 RTC (the hardware info implies as much, but docs and experience
   are different ;)

2) Is it worth the effort of removing the motherboard, desoldering the
   DS1287, and soldering in the DS12887 to try it? has anyone done this
   before?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Sean