Subject: build.sh -t dies in groff
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/27/2002 13:45:56
I've been trying to build a new userland, but I always seem to catch a
recent version of -current at a bad time lately.  My latest woe is
from a fresh rsync of -current done today.  A "build.sh -t" fails in
groff:

[...]
dependall ===> groff
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for gcc... cc
checking whether the C compiler (cc -O ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (cc -O ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether cc accepts -g... yes
checking for c++... c++
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ -O ) works... yes
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ -O ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C++... yes
checking whether c++ accepts -g... yes
checking that C++ compiler can compile simple program... yes
checking that C++ static constructors and destructors are called... no
configure: error: a working C++ compiler is required
*** Error code 1

Stop.
nbmake: stopped in /usr/src/tools/groff
*** Error code 1

Stop.
nbmake: stopped in /usr/src/tools/groff
*** Error code 1

Stop.
nbmake: stopped in /usr/src/tools

ERROR: failed to make tools
*** BUILD ABORTED ***
<<<<<

BTW, this was after getting rid of /usr/src and /usr/obj and starting
over from scratch.

Does anyone have a recent date that -current is known to build, so
I can check out that specific set of sources via cvs??

BTW, is the error above related to this entry in UPDATING?:

20021121:
        The C run-time support files crtbegin.o and crtend.o
        (and their companions crtbeginS.o and crtendS.o) were
        split up, with new crti.o and crtn.o files resulting.
        This means that libtool needs to be rebuilt once the
        new libraries are installed.  The process of rebuilding
        libtool will cause it to automatically notice the new
        required files, but it *must* be rebuilt in order to
        do this.

        An out-of-date libtool will result in shared libraries
        which lack _init() and _fini() routines, which means that
        their global contructors/destructors will not be invoked.
<<<<<

If so, about which version of libtool is it talking?  I have the one
in pkgsrc installed, but I didn't think this was used in the build.sh
process.  (Also, I thought the build.sh process was self-contained,
and that UPDATING referred only to "make build" et al.)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa