Subject: Re: Installing 1.5 on a DS10
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/08/2001 16:28:23
    Date:        Thu, 8 Feb 2001 09:19:33 +0100
    From:        Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>

  | Yes. It's just that with -release you may not need to recompile userland
  | after :)

I doubt I need to do that anyway - old userlands generally work
fine on new kernels (which is certainly what I would try here,
just a new install kernel, new kern.tgz, and the rest of the
system the standard 1.5 tarballs).

(Even if I did, compile time isn't an issue)

The question is more whether there are likely to be more fixes in
current that would be useful to have, or whether there my have been
some instability introduced which would not be nice to keep.

Also, since actually doing a test is going to involve a very long
turnaround, are there any kernel options (or anything else I perhaps
should be doing to assist debugging) when I build the install
kernel.   I will most likely not strip it, and perhaps even make
a -g kernel (since it will have to boot off CD - there won't be
anyone available to change floppies when requested... it doesn't
matter how big it gets for an alpha install).

I guess SCSIVERBOSE and PCIVERBOSE would be useful - is there
anything else that might help?

kre