Subject: Re: Booting a CD-ROM on PC164 via 53c810
To: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Wilko Bulte <wkb@chello.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/14/2000 21:35:10
On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 09:40:27PM -0400, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 07:38:19PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > > It wouldn't boot from CD's like the DEC firmware CD, or a 4.0F DU CD.
> > > The -43 works just fine.
> >
> > The RRD45 did report as a RRD45 right? By installing/removing the parity
> > jumper you can select Toshiba/DEC mode.
>
> Right, and there are also jumpers for ID and termination. Termination
> was disabled and a terminator was put on the end of the bus. Same
> problems. Termination was taken off the end of the bus, then enabled
> in the RRD45. Same problems. Every other external device was taken
> off the bus. Same problems. The parity jumper was removed/added. Same
> problems. The ID was changed. Same problems. Different cabling was
> tried. Same problems.
>
> AS 200 was taken apart, external cabling was removed, and the drive
> was put onto the internal, DEC original, cabling. Same problems.
>
> Making an SRM bootfloppy and booting from it failed as well, but with
> a different error (I don't remember the exact error). An SRM reflash
> worked fine with the offending RRD45 taken off the chain.
>
> Did I forget to try something?

Does not appear so, no. I did, however, have a AS200 in my hands today
which I'm pretty sure had a RRD45 inside. I'm moving the lab at my work so I
cannot give it a try, will be no earlier than sometime next week.

--
Wilko Bulte  	 	http://www.freebsd.org  "Do, or do not. There is no try"
wilko@freebsd.org	http://www.nlfug.nl	- Yoda - The Empire Strikes Back