Subject: Problems with tosha on alpha
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/24/2000 02:34:16
When I run tosha on my fairly current alpha with a SCSI CD-ROM and
an Adaptec 2940, it reads the table of contents just fine, but when
I start reading a track, it panics the system. I get:

    cd1(ahc0:6:0): timed out in datain phase, SCSISIGI == 0x44
    cd1(ahc0:6:0): asserted ATN - device reset in message buffer
    cd1(ahc0:6:0): host adapter code inconsistency
    panic: ahc0: Timed-out command times out again

    Stopped at      cpu_Debugger+0x4:       ret     zero,(ra)
    db> trace
    cpu_Debugger() at cpu_Debugger+0x4
    panic() at panic+0xe4
    ahc_timeout() at ahc_timeout+0x8c
    softclock() at softclock+0xb0
    hardclock() at hardclock+0x230
    interrupt() at interrupt+0x88
    XentInt() at XentInt+0x1c
    --- interrupt (from ipl 0) ---
    idle() at idle+0x24
    mi_switch() at mi_switch+0x1c0
    tsleep() at tsleep+0x2b0
    sched_sync() at sched_sync+0x2d4
    esigcode() at esigcode
    --- root of call graph ---
    db>

This happens on two different SCSI CD-ROM drives:

    ahc0:A:0: refuses WIDE negotiation.  Using 8bit transfers
    ahc0: target 0 synchronous at 8.0MHz, offset = 0xf
    cd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: <, CD-R/RW RW7040S, 1.10> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable

    ahc0:A:6: refuses WIDE negotiation.  Using 8bit transfers
    ahc0: target 6 synchronous at 4.4MHz, offset = 0x8
    cd1 at scsibus0 targ 6 lun 0: <PIONEER, CD-ROM DR-124X, 1.01> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable

The latter drive works fine with tosha on a fairly current i386
system using an NCR 53c820. I'll try dropping that card in my alpha
and see if it makes a difference. However, if anyone can fix this,
I'd appreciate it. I'm happy to do testing and whatnot, and I can
even make the system (with a serial console) available across a
reasonably fast Internet connection.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.