Subject: Re: 500au
To: Jeff Roberson <nomad@nop.aliensystems.com>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/16/1999 00:23:46
On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 03:03:04PM -0800, Jeff Roberson wrote:
> I may buy a Digital Personal Workstation 500a, but I'd like to make sure
> SRM is available for this model, and it is supported by netbsd.  Currently
> it has arc on it.  I see the au series on the port-alpha page, but not the
> a.  Does anyone know much about these machines?

I converted a 433a to a 433au by swapping the Adaptec 2940UW for a
Qlogic 1040 adapter (so that SRM can boot from the SCSI disks). SRM is
available, you can select it from the AlphaBIOS to be the default console
code.

433 and 500 is only the CPU (and a few flipped dipswitches)

There are 2 models mainboard for the PWS, the early one (Miata MX5) has
a less-than-optimal (read: has silicon bugs) Pyxis chipset. The 2nd
generation (Miata GL) is better in this respect.

Wilko
--
Wilko Bulte 		Arnhem, The Netherlands	  - The FreeBSD Project
    			WWW : http://www.tcja.nl  http://www.freebsd.org