Subject: Updated "user to-do" list, etc.
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/25/1995 14:16:43
Well, i'm going to send out a "status report" in a little bit, but
first i wanted to send out an updated "user to-do list."

I just added this to the NetBSD source tree (in src/sys/arch/alpha),
as well, for easy reference.

later,

chris
====
$NetBSD: TODO.users,v 1.1 1995/04/25 18:16:15 cgd Exp $

The NetBSD/Alpha "User" To-Do List

The following are things that I'd like to see "users" of NetBSD/Alpha do.
It's unlikely that I'll get around to them in any reasonable time
frame, and I think they _should_ get done.

If you think of something that should be added to this list (and don't
want to do it yourself, right then 8-), send me mail and I'll add it.

If you're planning to work on something on this list, send me mail and
tell me about it, so that I can keep people from duplicating work.
Once you've done something on this list, send me context diffs.

Chris Demetriou
cgd@netbsd.org
--

Make GDB work.
	(1) for debugging live processes; shouldn't require kernel work.

Test programs; find and fix bugs.  In particular:
	(1) make sure accounting works
	(2) figure out why strip doesn't seem to work
	(3) last i checked, 'file' core dumped
	(4) /usr/games

Compile some of the more useful X clients.  (e.g. xterm and resize.)

Make TurboChannel option slots work reasonably.  This will require
    different sets of code to be written on the 3000/[4-9]00 and on the
    3000/300 families.  It shouldn't be too hard, but you will need some
    devices that live in option slots.

Once TC option slots work, somebody with a TC ethernet board should
    make it work, for completeness.

Get the GNU tools to generate a.out binaries for the alpha.  Once that
    is done:
	(1) make gprof work, then profile the kernel and tell me how
	    bad my assumptions lost.
	(2) make the rest of the NetBSD a.out-manipulation tools (e.g.
	    nm) work.

Make DDB work.  (For completeness, may require a.out kernel binaries
    and/or some ecoff symbol handling code to be written; the former
    is strongly preferred.)

Make CVS work.  I've no reason to think that it shouldn't, but...