Re: wip/pkgchkxx: a complete reimplementation of pkg_chk and pkg_rolling-replace

On 7/23/23 04:14, Mike Pumford wrote:

I can sympathise with not wanting to use C for such a utility but I was a bit surprised you had to go to C++17 to get shared_ptr. That's been in the C++ standard since c++11. And althought I've not done much C++ on NetBSD I certainly didn't need c++17 to use it on linux so if you did on BSD something is odd. You are right about filesystem and I can see why that would be useful for a tool doing as much directory scanning as this probably needs to.

I can't recall accurately but maybe it was std::make_shared() that was missing? And yeah I absolutely needed std::async, std::promise, std::thread, and std::filesystem. I didn't want to reimplement them myself.

Give me praise for resisting the temptation of coroutines that requires C++20! Some part of my code is a bit messy because of the lack of coroutines but if I took the path people would throw stones at me in anger!

C++17 should be supported by NetBSD 10-BETA onwards so its not exactly an unreasonable tool choice. Although having a tool that works on at least 9.x would be nice although that would be possible with a pkgsrc GCC or clang. That said as the tool author it seems reasonable for you to make the choice as to what to use.

Yup, actually I developed it on NetBSD 9 with pkgsrc GCC 8 so it surely works on older systems where GCC 8 is available.