Re: Create influxdb package

Attila Fülöp <attila%fueloep.org@localhost> writes:

> Thanks for your thorough explanation, I think I do understand the
> problem better now.  The main problem is downloading any files during
> the build, not building the deps as part of the main build.

Both are issues. Jonathan's comments were about download-during-build
(offline builds, security, repeatable).

But, another --- very slightly less rigid --- stance in pkgsrc is that
packages that logically depend on other packages should actually depend
on pkgsrc packages of them, instead of including their code and building
it.  The point is that when the dependency package is updated, we know
that the updated code is used by everything, rather than having copies
all over the place that are not recorded by the packaging system.

> As a side note, shouldn't we move this technical discussion to the
> github branch, since I think most mailing list members aren't interested
> in the details of go packaging?

I'm not sure pkgsrc-users is appropriate, vs tech-pkg, but discussion
of how to deal with go modules in a way  which meets pkgsrc norms
(instead of the usual case of each language thinking they are the only
thing that matters and inventing a new per-language packaging system
that does not meet the no-build-download or one-copy norms :-) is
definitely appropriate for pkgsrc lists.