Re: nghttp2 broken

On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 03:09:40PM +0000, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > maya%netbsd.org@localhost writes:

> > > You're going to need some value of GCC_REQD for c++14. I know that GCC 6
> > > has it, but I don't know how far back it goes.
> >
> > I was able to build it with 4.8.5.
> >
> > I think I have figured out what's going on:
> >
> >  the core library is actually in C
> >
> >  configure finds the C preprocessor as 'gcc -E' fine
> >
> >  when looking for something else c++ish (not checking sublanguage
> >  availability), it fails with --std=c++14
> >
> >  the configure script, while looking for C++14, doesn't error out if
> >  not found
> >
> >  theory, no evidence; when looking for CPPCXX, the value of CXX has
> >  --std, and therefore we end up at the last fallback
> >

> > I have added GCC_REQD+= 6, and will commit that if it builds ok.
>
> Race you to it :-)
>
> > I think with this branch we have arrived at a world where not having a
> > C++14 compiler is a big problem.
>
> Support is in 4.9 apparently, with support finalised in 5 (it's the
> defaultfor 6):
> https://isocpp.org/blog/2014/04/gcc-4.9.0
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B14#Compiler_support
>
> What's best practice for seeing GCC_REQD? The lowest version it will
> compile with?
>
> Seems to me that pkgsrc should know what GCC version is required for a
> declared language (so c++14 should imply a minimum GCC_REQD).
>
> --
> Stephen

Yes, I might have even had a diff for it, but there were some
objections. At the time, I wanted to set 4.8 for C++11, but joerg said
it wasn't quite complete until 5.x.

It seemed like a worse situation, where I'd accidentally over-pull a too
new GCC.

I think it might be good to set 'lowest that had support for that
thing', because we can individually raise as needed.

Also on this topic: it would be nice if we had a singular GCC that we
pulled in case the existing one is insufficient. Mixing more than two
versions is crazy.