Re: Flash support for Firefox?

> As far as I know, Flash is Adobe proprietary and closed-source.
>
> There are some open-source Flash players with less functionality:
> gnash, swfdec, lightspark
>
> Gnash is fine on YouTube but not a whole lot else.
>
> A big snag is on page-turning sites such as laprensaky.com and
> realpageslive.com
> though you may be able to download from realpageslive.com (pdf?)
>
> Anybody who knows something better is welcome to correct me!

I was gonna say something about handling flash
in a native NetBSD firefox with pkgsrc's
nspluginwrapper that's somewhat old
and tends to dump core quite a lot
and that pkg/47208 contains a nspluginwrapper
1.4.4 package (including a gross hack to work
around linux's anonymous socket) which is way
more stable.

However, didn't know about realpageslive.com and
that immediately gives me:

*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_DestroyStream() wait for reply: Broken pipe
*** NSPlugin Wrapper ***
WARNING:(/usr/obj/wip/nspluginwrapper/work/nspluginwrapper-1.4.4/src/npw-wrapper.c:2434):invoke_NPP_URLNotify:
 assertion failed: (rpc_method_invoke_possible(plugin->connection))
*** NSPlugin Wrapper ***
WARNING:(/usr/obj/wip/nspluginwrapper/work/nspluginwrapper-1.4.4/src/npw-wrapper.c:2848):invoke_NPP_HandleEvent:
 assertion failed: (rpc_method_invoke_possible(plugin->connection))
*** NSPlugin Wrapper ***
WARNING:(/usr/obj/wip/nspluginwrapper/work/nspluginwrapper-1.4.4/src/npw-wrapper.c:2219):invoke_NPP_SetWindow:
 assertion failed: (rpc_method_invoke_possible(plugin->connection))
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPObject proxy 0xb834cc60 is no longer valid!

And yes, you need linux emulation for that
in the kernel. recompile with COMPAT_LINUX
and see also compat_linux(8) for more info.

So, it all seems to depend on how heavy
you flash requirements are. NetBSD native
firefox with nspluginwrapper and adobe-flash
running on a kernel with linux emulation
works fine for me generally speaking.

Onno