Re: long-broken packages (some are removal candidates)

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 08:06:11PM -0400, Amitai Schlair wrote:
 > Can someone kindly recapitulate how our pkgsrc lives change if DESTDIR
 > support becomes mandatory? The costs and benefits been explained
 > before and I remember on balance finding them compelling.

It's been the default for a while without the roof of the dungeon
caving in. The only particularly noticeable problem at this point is
that if you're doing source builds, ~useless binary packages
accumulate in /usr/pkgsrc/packages until cleaned out by hand. This is
more in the way of a hassle than a serious problem though. That and I
guess builds are somewhat (but not all that much) slower and use more
transient disk space.

On the plus side you can (for most packages anyway) do everything but
the final binary package install as non-root, plus the time window
where things are missing during a live update is reduced (though not
as much as it might be), the PLIST check becomes much more reliable,
etc.

That and of course the packages listed in the other thread break. Many
of them are already broken for other reasons anyway. There are only a
couple that really need to be fixed before such a transition is made.

And we need to figure out what to do with cvsup and ezm3. I've already
stated my opinion.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost