Re: Seriously confused about keeping packages current

Off list the following was recommended:

>  'pkg_chk -uq' works for me, showing only packages needing an update.

Both

   pkg_chk -uq|grep '<'
   pkg_chk -aurn|grep '<'

produce very similar but, different outputs and now I'm getting really
confused:

If I run the command variants, I get:

   : pkg_chk -aurn|grep '<'
   time/p5-Date-Calc - p5-Date-Calc-5.4nb3 < p5-Date-Calc-5.4

   : pkg_chk -uq|grep '<'
   time/p5-Date-Calc - p5-Date-Calc-5.4nb3 < p5-Date-Calc-5.4

My instincts tell me that this is wrong because I would guess that .4nb3 is
newer than .4 (yes??? no???).   BUT, let's update time/p5-Date-Calc with:

   (cd .../time/p5-Date-Calc && make update)

Now I rerun the pkg_chk variant:

   : pkg_chk -aurn|grep '<'
   devel/p5-Date-Calc - p5-Date-Calc-5.4 < p5-Date-Calc-5.4nb3

   : pkg_chk -uq|grep '<'

Instinct tells me that -aurn results are probably the correct choice since I
still believe that .4nb3 is newer than .4.  So I did an update in
devel/p5-Date-Calc.

BUT, I don't really understand which is the correct choice.  Is devel/ telling
me the package is still being developed?  Or is this an unintended package
duplication??  If devel/ is telling me this is the correct version for forward
development, in which case I'd expect a lot more duplicated packages? (and
that I would need two different environments one for forward work and one for
current work).

Clarification on this is appreciated.  Apologies if I'm just being thick
headed about this.

TIA,
Paul