Re: amdgpu laptops with 10 & current?

On Tue, 14 May 2024 at 08:14, nia <nia%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> The ThinkPad A485 looks pretty interesting for use with NetBSD.
>
> - 1st Gen AMD Ryzen Mobile
> - 32 GiB DDR4 2400 MHz
> - AMD Radeon Vega 6, 8 or 10
>
> Usually I prefer the smaller X series, but they've made them
> non-upgradable and harder to repair...
>
> ethernet is re0, this is different from the intel models that are
> usually wm0. internal dev chatter would point to wm(4) being the
> better driver, but probably not enough to matter for my purposes
> (100mbit/s DSL). I usually use ethernet at home.
>
> WiFi may be Intel AX200/AX201/AX210/AX211 but it might depend.
> We don't have a driver for this. Previous models had iwm(4) which
> is a slow and buggy driver making a USB urtwn(4) the more compelling
> option, or urndis(4) with a tether to a smartphone.
> Another dmesg shows Intel Wireless AC 8265, which is iwm(4).
>
> Lenovo laptops have control freak firmware that doesn't allow changing
> the card for a different model, but I wonder if it can be removed
> to reduce power consumption and allow suspend to function.
>
> Anyone using amdgpu with a device like this? I'm sure llvmpipe
> is okay(tm), would be nice to have the runtime configuration
> advantages of modesetting though.

The ThinkPad T495 is probably relatively close: AMD Ryzen 3, 5 or 7
PRO, Vega 6, 8 or 10, re(4), and Intel Wireless AC 9260

https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=7159 (dmesg is from
10-BETA before riastradh@ fixed the issue affecting acpibat)

It was fast enough, but I had to drop back to my T480 to be able to
drive an external monitor

David