Re: netbsd crashes when using fat filesys

On Thu, May 02, 2024 at 08:12:06PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Thu, May 02, 2024 at 08:04:28PM +0200, Rhialto wrote:
> > I filed http://gnats.netbsd.org/58146 for it.
>
> Why do you think those issue are related? Sounds very unlikely to me.

To ellaborate on this:

 - the original issue reported here is *something else* mangling/breaking
   a FAT file system and NetBSD not dealing with the result. This can
   either be a bug in Solaris or in NetBSD's interpration of the FAT
   file system format - we just don't know (yet).

   An image of a file system in broken state is absolutely required here
   to debug the issue.

   If the OP can't provide such an image, we need a *working recipe* how
   to reproduce the issue, plus someone with a Solaris 10 installation
   to create the broken image, plus someone to debug the result.
   Currently we have neither the recipe nor someone with Solaris 10 installed
   willing to help.

 - PR 58146 looks like a NetBSD local locking issue/race condition. The
   file system image you offered probably will not be helpfull, we need
   to do carefull reading of the relevant locking paths in the code.

Martin