Re: ssh and libsqlite.so

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 6:25 PM Vitaly Shevtsov <shev.vt1984%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> No, I'm not saying to remove sqlite from the base image completely. Of
> course not, since some binaris depend on it.
> My point is that Full Text Search for apropos and whatis was
> implemented for NetBSD by using sqlite in 2012 as GSOC. So I think now
> it's no longer needed for apropos/whatis since the modern mandoc

The semantic search of mandoc's apropos(1) is not the same as "full
text search" of NetBSD's apropos(1).

The mandoc apropos implementation works on expressions, where you can
specify a specific mdoc macro and its value. The search will produce
results containing man pages which satisfy that expression.

On the other hand, NetBSD apropos will work like a typical search engine.

I've never understood the usefulness of doing markup based search, it
expects the user to have an intimate knowledge of the mdoc macros to
effectively use it. But I might be biased.

> supports semantic search using POSIX API only.

We could implement full text search using POSIX APIs as well, but if
Sqlite gives it out of the box, it is extra maintenance work.

-
Abhinav