Re: ifwatchd(8) and interface carrier changes

Hi.

On 2022/07/30 22:26, Hauke Fath wrote:
> All,
>
> after an 'ifconfig wm0 down' ifwatchd(8) will not recognize or act on
> any carrier changes on wm0, although carrier status is indicated
> correctly in 'ifconfig wm0' output.

 Usually, "ifconfig xxX down" disable any interrupt, so the driver
can't detect the link status change automatically. When doing "ifconfig ifX"
while the interface is down, the driver try to get the current status via
ifmedia(4).

> Should it?

One of the way is to poll the link status via timer.
I don't know whether sending a link status change event to the upper layer
while an interface is down is worth or not...

                SAITOH Masanobu (msaitoh%execsw.org@localhost
                                 msaitoh%netbsd.org@localhost)