libm rounding accuracy?

https://blog.sigplan.org/2021/08/26/high-performance-correctly-rounded-math-libraries-for-32-bit-floating-point-representations/

describes "RLibm" that correctly rounds 32-bit results for many common math/trig functions, and compares their library to glibc and Intel.

It's interesting that the 32-bit gnu library has significant numbers of rounding errors; and, when the same were tried with gnu 64-bit doubles, there were *still* errors when considered as 32-bit floats (a few, but still...).

How well do we do on this metric?

I do have one sort-of datapoint: I converted an orbital prediction program that used doubles to using long doubles.  Ran long predictions for several satellites, and found a difference of e.g. 1 microsecond when a body reaches apogee for long double vs double; and only once.  I conclude for this application, doubles are totally adequate.   And, although floating point numerics can be complicated, it would seem we do 'pretty good' when using doubles.

-Mike