Re: NetBSD Wishlist

Hello,

First I have to excuse myself, english is not my native language and I
I wasnt threatening at all. Germans do always sound little more rude
:-P

Thanks that this list is generally very nice and most reactions are friendly.

I like NetBSD. No, I'm loving it!
I use it since 1.6. Nevertheless it is in our company hardly used -
too impractical for most IT staff here.

>From my very limited horizont and view some of this above mentioned
features are cruical and would help NetBSD in world domination :-D

I remember the old logo were beasties conquered and rised the Flag of victory.

I know (and I like it) the slogan is: "No hype needed."

But to tell the audience what NetBSD WOULD LIKE TO IMPLEMENT in near
future would create more movement into a specific direction. we need a
NetBSD Foundation driven Google Summer of Code. I like to donate then
for special Projects! Like GSoC helped us, it could boost some
projects and attract new developers (I remember clearly how tmpfs was
invented into NetBSD).

Backed up by the foundation a call for developers for specific tasks
would help. In such a manner I would be proud of donating some bucks
just for NUMA support. Or if for NetBSD 6.0 some devs are developing a
tiny X into the Kernel I am even asking my girlfiend to support! If
there is a feature I really like to have in NetBSD a NetBSD Task force
which is going public could help in every aspect!
I am missing a feature request and fullfillement plan.

The way how things are discussed - great
The way how NetBSD is being developed - awesome
The way how NetBSD devs are coding - unbeatable

Theres a huge difference between creating a hype (like many linux
distribs do) and just attracting public attention by having more
communication from public to devs and little more Public Relation.

One example:
on 19. Nov NetBSD 5.1 was released (and some days earlier on the mirrors).

Heise.de (Germanys _biggest_ IT-Magazine with millions of readers)
didnt even notice that!!!
I have written an email to the Chef Journalist and asked for the
reason and told them about NetBSDs new release. Also I did send this
email to other IT-Magazines as well. I am really really sad about this
state and thats why I was writing this letter to you.

here the original Mail answere from Heise.de :
http://translate.google.com/#de|en|Am%2021.11.2010%2015%3A59%2C%20Markus%20wrote%3A%0A%3E%20NetBSD%205.1%20ist%20am%2019.11.2010%20ver%C3%B6ffentlicht%20worden%20und%20war%20schon%2013%20TAGE%0A%3E%20VORHER%20bereit%20und%20auf%20einigen%20Servern.%0A%3E%0A%3E%20Dar%C3%BCber%20hat%20keiner%20von%20euch%20berichtet!%0A%0AHallo%2C%0A%0Aist%20uns%20schlicht%20entgangen.%20Die%20Informationspolitik%20der%20BSD-Projekte%20ist%0Amanchmal%20etwas%2C%20hmmm%2C%20problematisch%3F%20Gelegentlich%20hat%20man%20den%20Eindruck%2C%0Adie%20wollen%20gar%20nicht%2C%20dass%20irgendjemand%20au%C3%9Fer%20dem%20engsten%20Zirkel%20neue%0AVersionen%20mitbekommt.%0A%0AWir%20schauen%20es%20uns%20mal%20an.%0A%0A%3E%0A%3E%20gru%C3%9F%0A%3E%0A%3E%0A%3E%20--%0A%3E%20War%20for%20Peace%20is%20like%20Fuckin%27%20for%20Virginity%0A%3E%20Realit%C3%A4t%20ist%20etwas%20f%C3%BCr%20Leute%20die%20nicht%20mit%20Drogen%20umgehen%20k%C3%B6nnen.%0A%3E%0A--%0ADr.%20Oliver%20Diedrich%0AChefredakteur%20heise%20open%0A%0AHeise%20Zeitschriften%20Verlag%20GmbH%20%26%20Co.%20KG%0AHelstorfer%20Strasse%207%2C%2030625%20Hannover%2C%20Germany%0ATel%3A%20%2B49%20%280%29511%205352%20616%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20E-Mail%3A%20odi%40heiseopen.de%0AFax%3A%20%2B49%20%280%29511%205352%20417%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heiseopen.de%2F%0A%0A%0ARegistergericht%3A%20Amtsgericht%20Hannover%2C%20HRA%2026709%0APers%C3%B6nlich%20haftende%20Gesellschafterin%3A%0AHeise%20Zeitschriften%20Verlag%20Gesch%C3%A4ftsf%C3%BChrung%20GmbH%0ARegistergericht%3A%20Amtsgericht%20Hannover%2C%20HRB%2060405%0AGesch%C3%A4ftsf%C3%BChrer%3A%20Ansgar%20Heise%2C%20Steven%20P.%20Steinkraus%2C%0ADr.%20Alfons%20Schr%C3%A4der

I like the way how DragonFly is performing these tasks (only in this
particular topic):
They write on their website where they are, but even more important
where they want to go! Yeah! Thats cool.I want to be there as well!
Yeah! Thats creating dynamics and synergies and pushes us further!
That gives Visions! No hype needed is ok, but not even being mentioned
around the globe in the IT-Press is ridiculous and makes me crying!

It certainly needs true leaders for each mission. also it helps new
developers having the same ideas to gather around the NetBSD leaders
and start coding. Like a selfullfilling prophecy. The most portable
safe and secure clean Environment is NetBSD!  SO WHY TO TELLING EACH
STUDENT!! WHY NOT REACHING FOR THE STARS!?? Imagine the headlines:
NetBSD want to develop an kernel X for embedded systems on satellites!
Student that want to help could learn on NetBSD the most portable
clean system on planet. Canonical who?
Ubuntu for Desktop - NetBSD for science and real mens projects.

Have a nice day and thanks for some new ideas (trying some of your
proposals like the live cd!)

Markus

--
Mit freundlichen GrÃÃen,
i.A. Markus Maiwald

Fon:Â Â ÂÂ +31 629 50 70 65

Apple for Works - *NIX for Network - Windows for Solitaire

Security is the one concept, which makes things in your life stay as
they are. Otto Normal is a man, who is afraid of changes in his life;
so naturally he does not employ security.