Console blanks and leaves me in the dark

I just plonked in a netbsd-5 kernel (from two days ago) with the console at vesafb, and now it seems that when the screen blanking kicks in, I can't get it back, short of starting X.

On top of that, the blanking interval is unreasonably aggressive (i.e. short), so shortly after boot I was looking at a blank screen with no obvious signs of life at all.

A standard text console didn't have the same problem.

I'm guessing this might be the culprit, since I ran with this commented out in a NetBSD 4 kernel without seeing anything similar:

options         VESAFB_PM               # power management support

Is this option known to be broken? I can't remember why I had it commented out before, but I guess there was a reason.

MAgnus