Re: netbsd 5.0 Blade 100

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 06:06:40PM +0200, Frederic Jaeckel wrote:

> On Thu, 7 May 2009 17:06:21 +0200
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 11:28:39PM +0200, Maurizio Caloro wrote:
> > > I want Install netbsd 5.0 on Blade 100 but after i select the
> > > CD-ROM for DATA medium
> > > after googling i see this are not a new preblem but i dont know how
> > > do
> > >
> > > i find the ACERIDE.C file for modifie the file to install this CDROM
> >
> > I think the best option is to install from network on this system.
> > AFAIK nobody suceeded getting the cdrom to work on this controller
> > yet.
> Astonishingly.. I did. :)

If the Blade 100 has an Acer M5229, the CDROM should work, although in
PIO modes only.  Not sure why it didn't downgrade to PIO there; I've
used the CDROMs in the V100 / V120 / Netra T1/X1 without problems once
they downgrade to PIO.

FWIW, it looks like the issue is that the controller doesn't support
sending an interrupt when the OS is finished sending the ATAPI command
packet, and NetBSD's ATAPI stack assumes it will always get an interrupt
at that point.  A workaround would be to send the command via PIO and
poll for acceptance; the rest of the data could then be sent via DMA.
(I think; I'm far from an ATA/ATAPI expert, but I have enough of these
systems that I've done some amount of digging on this subject), but I
haven't had a chance to try that yet.

--rafal

--
  Time is an illusion; lunchtime, doubly so.     |/\/\|           Rafal Boni
                   -- Ford Prefect               |\/\/|