Subject: virtualization and a SCO openserver on NetBSD? vmware3?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Carl Brewer <carl@bl.echidna.id.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/04/2007 10:53:08
Hello,
I've got a client with an old SCO Openserver5 box running a
mission-critical app (it's an airport and it runs their operations,
scary ... anyway ...)

I want to move it onto new hardware and have some sort of reliable back
end and easy backup system.  I thought it might be good to run the SCO
system in a VM of some sort - I don't think xen will work, as the guest
OS needs to be aware of it, and old SCO boxes are highly unlikely to be.
But, I've read some reports of VMware hosting SCO Openserver 5 with
success, and noted in pkgsrc that there's an emulators/vmware3 package.

Attempting to make this work on a NetBSD 3.1 box with a current grab of
pkgsrc gives me this error at 'make install' time :

install: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/linuxrtc: open: No such file or directory
install: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/vmmon: open: No such file or directory
install: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/vmnet: open: No such file or directory
install: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/vmnetif: open: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/emulators/vmware-module3
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/emulators/vmware-module3
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/emulators/vmware-module3
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/emulators/vmware3

Before I submit a bug report, is this package alive and have I (or has
the package?) missed installing some dependancy?  The last time it was
touched appears to be 18 months ago.  Also, is there any other
alternatives to host this SCO system somehow in a VM of some form?  I'd
prefer to run it on NetBSD for consistency, but if necessary I can run
up a linux box if I have to.