Subject: [Semi-OT] Running QEMU
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/28/2007 18:12:00
--------------enig397EDF2CF58AFB187156D7C4

Hello all,

   I've decided that I want to understand the boot process, and how to
build a "livecd". But I don't feel like spending a bunch of CD's in the
intial trial-and-error phase, so I thought I'd begin experimenting in an
QEMU virtual machine.

   Getting QEMU to boot up NetBSD/i386 was dead easy, as was installing
it. But now I need to be able to:

   1) Fetch pkgsrc into the VM so that I can install some tools I need
   2) Transfer the generated livecd ISO out to my "real" system so that
I can try booting from it in another QEMU session.

   Both these points "require" networking. I tried to read the docs, but
frankly: I don't understand anything. :-)  My knowledge of networking is
extremely limited. Is there any easy way to allow me to transfer files
between my real system and a virtual machine? I tried the tftp thing,
but couldn't get it working. And I read somewhere that it was very limite=
d.

   I guess I don't really need to have access to the Internet from the
virtual machine, as I can install binary packages, but I still need to
transfer files to/from the VM from my "real" system.

   In worst case, I guess I can simply create a "second harddrive" image
which I dd tar archives to/from. :-)

--=20
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson