Subject: Re: a question about updating
To: NetBSD Users's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thierry Lacoste <lacoste@univ-paris12.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/20/2007 22:49:54
> NetBSD's build system is designed to be entirely hosted on a non-native
> machine.
>
> That means that all the build tools, right from the MAKE to the CC and
> everything in between and beyond, is built by the "build.sh tools" for
> execution and use on the build host and only with the various *DIR
> settings chosen at build time.
>
> Those tools are not expected to be usable on any target host -- they are
> for use entirely on the build host alone.

That is clear for "build.sh distribution" but I realize that
I don't understand why the build tools are needed at all for
"build.sh install" as I just saw it as essentially a mere copy
of files from obj to their respective final location (pretty much
like when I install from sets).

Regards,
Thierry.