Subject: Re: Resizing netbsd disk partition
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Anzi <anzi.new@dnainternet.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/16/2007 19:06:03
Anzi wrote:

> Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 03:03:58PM +0200, Anzi wrote:
>>

>>> Hello all
>>>
>>> I have a netbsd 3.1 machine running some xen stuff. Unfortunately I
>>> made the original disk partitioning poorly and disk is running out.
>>> The question is how can (if possible)  I resize the netbsd partion
>>> (grow netbsd partition at the end of disk) without reinstalling
>>> everything?
>>>
>>> Or is there a way to access partions outside the netbsd partition
>>> (disklabel)?
>>>

>> Yes, in disklabel you can define partition outside the netbsd partition.
>> To make things more consistent you can also extent the NetBSD partition:
>> fdisk -u
>> then disklabel -e to extend the 'c' partition by the same amount.
>>

> I run fdisk -u wd0 and changed partition to extend to end of disk. Now
> I am wondering what is "same amount" that I should write to disklabel :)
>
> I'm really confused about disklabel, I haven't played with netbsd /
> unixes that much, only Linuxes. So how can I calculate the correct
> amount?
>
> tried something and got:
>
> "disklabel: partition c: partition extends past end of unit"

I found some more info about bsd disklabel, so I assume that I can add a
partition called 'e' with following lines to disklabel .
'e' would fill out the rest of the partition ( size and offset marked
with stars)?

|#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  e:        *        *    4.2BSD     2048  16384   16

#

Is this correct? if it is this is pretty good to configure compared to windows partitions...

or maybe like this (don't know whether the offset should be there):

|#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  e:        10G      *    4.2BSD     2048  16384   16   |

|  f:        10G      *    4.2BSD     2048  16384   16   |

#