Subject: NetBSD and PF+ALTQ revisited
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/08/2007 17:31:00
Hi,

A while a go I was asking about how to get ALTQ working with PF, and one
way or another I ended up finding some patches to enable the
functionality. Said patches were from http://nedbsd.nl/~ppostma/pf/, but
this site no longer seems to have the 'beta' patches for NetBSD 3.x any
more. It just says to use -current now
(http://nedbsd.nl/~ppostma/pf/altq.html). This is something I don't
really want to do.

I [apparently quite wrongly] assumed that this might mean PF+ALTQ has
been sorted out in 3.1, and so I updated my sources. I noticed during
the update that some PF/ALTQ files were "M" for the status, rather than
"P" or whatever, which seems to indicate that CVS figured I had patched
my files locally, but any changes were 'merged' OK. I went ahead with a
kernel build to test, it compiled OK and it's running just fine right
now, albeit with a 3.0.1 userland. A good start!

I'm now trying to compile the userland, but I ran in to some sort of
error. I think it's something to do with 'altqd', the userland daemon. I
would post the error output, but the build was done over serial console
using 'hyperterm', and scrolling up has revealed a rather garbled
unreadable output. *sigh*

I do still have a patch which apparently prevents this from being built.
I don't remember using it before (though I may have, my memory is bad),
and the filename has -current in it. I've run this patch, and it failed
on two files but just about managed with the rest. One file just seemed
to be a comment line, so I ignored that. The other file just needed
"altq" removing from a Makefile variable by the looks of it, so I have
changed that manually. I'm rebuilding right now, so I shall let you know
if this has let me build the userland soon. Should this work, and
someone else is in the same position as I am, I can try and fight my way
through figuring out how to make a 'patch set' which works nicely on 3.1.

Why am I e-mailing before it's finished?

Well, first of all I just wanted to ask whether there was plans to
integrate ALTQ with PF yet? Maybe it's already been sorted out in
-current (4.0?) as that website seems to suggest? If so, is there any
chance of it being 'back ported' to 3.x?

Secondly is just a small success story (in the hope it might help get
the patches checked over and integrated) with the patches on 3.0.1. I
was running the patches on 3.0.1, as well as 3.0.0 briefly, for a good
200+ days without anything bad happening. It seemed to be working
flawlessly, although I wasn't really stressing it. I was only using the
basic priority queue functionality. It was still a god send, as it
allowed me to do the whole TCP ACK priority thing, so that my 'net no
longer *completely* dies when someone decides to upload something!

Thanks,
--
Mark Cullen <mark.r.cullen@gmail.com>
BSc (Hons), Computer Science