Subject: How to edit fstab when in single user?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Alasdair <alasdair@iprimus.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/03/2007 20:02:13
Problem : Need to edit /etc/fstab while in single user mode, unable to
do so.

Version NetBSD 3.0.1  i386

I made a mistake editing my fstab file, on boot up NetBSD drops into
single user mode. All I need to do is comment out the offending line
using # and all should be fine again. The line is not over critical in
the day to day use of  the system (I was trying to mount an NTFS
partition). However I am not sure how to edit a file from single user mode.
I can mount / ok.
When I try to use vi as
vi /ect/fstab
the message tells me

 TERM variable is not set (or similar)

I investigated and found you could set the TERM variable using the command

TERM=
and this should enable you to use vi

However I am unsure what my terminal (variable) is , or how to find that
out. I am using a stand alone desktop with just one user account and root.

thanks for your help in advance,

Alasdair