Subject: Re: rman and tkman dependency
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Przemys=B3aw_Pawe=B3czyk?= <pp@kv.net.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/14/2006 16:03:23
Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> "No way" isn't the most polite way to ask for help...  However -- look
> at your own output; in particular, notice the "XFree86".  When I look
> on my XFree86 machines, I see /usr/X11R6/bin/rman; in particular, my
> 3.1_STABLE machines show 3.0.8.
>
> Shall we wager where in your $PATH /usr/X11R6/bin and /usr/pkg/bin are?

Hi,
"No way" means for me "it can't be done", so it's far from impoliteness.
But your next comment is a true "observation". As far as up to now I
treated the system in rather holistic way in accordance with NetBSD hype
about it compactness or coherentness. It have never come to my mind to
treat the XFree86 as a separate part of the system. So when I looked on
my XFree86 machine I saw /etc/X11 as a frontend to X Window System. I
was wrong obviously. The implementation of /usr/pkg as an unique
application directory is ingenious. But there should not be any
ambiguity within the two separate lands of system and user.

What I hit during my work should be worked out but with deeper thought.
Changing path to tkman path or sequence in system PATH is not the best
solution.

Many thanks for your help and showing me new ways how to look at the
Unix systems as such.

Regards,
pp

--
Przemysław Pawełczyk [pren. Pshemislav Paveltchik]
pp@kv.net.pl, http://pp.kv.net.pl