Subject: Re: My petty concerns about NetBSD
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Przemys=B3aw_Pawe=B3czyk?= <pp@kv.net.pl>
From: Joseph A. Dacuma <jadacuma@ched.gov.ph>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/07/2006 16:52:00
Hi Sir!

> Hi,
>
> Many of us wonder how come the NetBSD gets less attention from
prospective users despite it's high value (in our eyes).

Count me in!

> I've spent recently several hours looking for mplayer binaries. I've
dived to many mirrors, I have sniffed around within official ftp nookes
to no avail.

I have very slow machines here (specially at home) running on NetBSD. What
I do is make install and do other stuff. Personally, a compiled app
tailored for a certain machine and your needs is worth the wait unless one
fancies to un/re-install a system on a daily basis.

> And suddenly today I've come in contact with it on German ftp site. I
promptly got back to NetBSD FTP to see the same - mplayer is back again.
In binary files.

> I'd like to know, why I wasted so many hours which I could spent on my
own NetBSD project?

I love using NetBSD but I'm sure there are other things we could do while
an app is compiling.

> I also asked a week or two ago why the ftp directory tree is so complex
but without any answer. I repeat the question.

> Do I have to think if there were so many NBSD users as you can find in
Linux world (Debian for example) it woudn't happen? Linux without
Mplayer?!!! Can you hear the voices of outrage?

I'll go watch a movie using good o'l TV. The experience is gazillion times
better than a computer.

> One of you said recently the binaries are only spin-offs (by-products)
of pkgsrc production (my words with His meaning). Really? Another Gentoo
in BSD camouflage?

Gentoo? No way! Doesn't even come close to a beta release of NetBSD in
terms of performance and stability. I tried Gentoo and never again.

I myself have petty frustrations as user but NetBSD is, in my book.... 5
stars!!! :D

Regards,

Joseph