Subject: Re: Question about terminals and keys
To: Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson@gmail.com>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/14/2006 10:58:48
On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 07:06:55PM +0200, Jan Danielsson wrote:
|Gilbert Fernandes wrote:
|> You can also modify your system so you display 80x50 chars on
|> consoles (except first one that you will keep to its default 80x25).
|> It's easy and makes it nice to use :)
|
|   I usually use that, but on my current system I can not. All full
|screen terminals that use 80x50 become garbled when I terminate X. It's
|some issue with the UniChrome-chip on my motherboard. For that reason
|I'm stuck at 80x25.
|
|   Because of these problems I tend to use X more nowadays. :-(

I generally run full-screen rxvt windows under ratpoison for the better
fonts with X11 ... usually I'm using the 12x24 font which is nicely
serifed and on my machine gives me a 106x42 text window or thereabouts.

rxvt can switch fonts on the fly with shift-npad+ -npad- for those
occasions when I really need something bigger ...

the setup also allows one to use firefox et al if required, but much
better use of screen real-estate imho ... if you're already using
screen, ratpoison should be a no-brainer ...

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch@mjch.net                                                left blank