Subject: printer wizards? (was Re: Is ghostscript-esp-7.07 required for CUPS
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/12/2005 10:41:48
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> unless you have a postscript printer in the first place, but then again
> if you have a postscript printer you'd probably be better of avoiding
> CUPS like the plague it is!  ;-)

One thing that I like about CUPS is that is usually very quick and easy
for a novice to configure a printer. (As long as the cupsd is setup and
running in the first place -- hopefully done automatically by the package
installation.)

Does anyone know of any easy alternatives to CUPS that provide a wizard to
quickly configure a variety of printers (and using different printer
interfaces/protocols)?

Any wizards for X?

(I see there are KDE Print, GtkLP, and XPP which I should try.)

By the way, I use xpdq to show my print jobs in X, but it doesn't always
make it easy to configure printing. (xpdq is easy for me because I tell it
to use use the lpd on my print server.) I like pdq/xpdq instead of lpd and
cups, because don't have a printer daemon always running (or
available) locally.

I don't want to research and manually setup lpd (printcap, filters, etc.)
for my friends and family when I can point them to something they can
quickly and easily do themselves.

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/