Subject: sysctl question
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/20/2004 18:07:58
I am a bit confused about some of the sysctl options, looking at "sysctl -d"

vm.anonmin: Percentage of physical memory reserved for anonymous
application data
vm.anonmax: Percentage of physical memory which will be reclaimed from
other usage for anonymous application data

Say I have the following settings:

vm.anonmin=5
vm.anonmax=50

vm.anonmin reserves 5% of physical memory, then say it gets used up by
different applications. If I understand this correctly, vm.anonmax
states the maximum amount of physical memory which will be reclaimed
from other usage if the physical memory reserved by vm.anonmin is all
taken. What will happend if the requirement for anonymous application
data grows beyond 55% (vm.anonmin + vm.anonmax) of total physical
memory? Will the system become unstable and freeze, or will it just use
swap space on the hard disk? What is anonymous application data?