Subject: Re: Good Wireless PCI Card
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2004.snew.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/07/2004 13:39:09
Quoting Brian A. Seklecki (lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org):
> On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 12:20, Diana Eichert wrote:
> > I would recommend a card from netgate also, www.netgate.com.
>
> oh nice; 200 MW radio...MMCX connectors, very nice.  But I don't know
> that more is always better.
>
> I guess I just take comfort in the fact that I can always throw the
> Cisco into a HP iPAQ and run LEAP; or that I can do site surveys using
> AirMagnet.

netgate's been a great company to do business with.  A few folks
who run Unix.  I have an A/B/G card from them I've used and several
antennae for cards bought previous to their existance.

As for LEAP - well, it's both patented and unsupported in the BSDs.
TKIP is also, unfo, not supported.  Given that WEP is close to
useless, IPSec is a fine compromise (though a pain for strangers'
machines).  I treat the wireless net as an unsecure network unless
there's IPSec.  If you come in with just WEP, then you get some
access, but no clear SMTP out (you can relay though my house box,
but with AUTH over TLS and I have a guest PW for those staying for
a bit).