Subject: Re: Consistent "Optional Dependecy" handling
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+netbsd-users@bjan.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/31/2003 15:39:09
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

 > Can you describe that Gentoo feature?

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/use-howto.xml

Basically, you set a global make variable, "USE", and then the ports
system provides some handy  functions for testing on the value of USE
from a build script (which are written in bash on Gentoo). My USE flags
usually looked something like this:

USE="-gnome -gtk kde arts qt 3dnow mmx sse opengl gif -motif -slang ssl
-nls X -apm acpi"

There was a fairly sane set of defaults for USE.

 > Maybe someone will soon work on the OpenBSD-like "flavours" feature.
Whereone pkgsrc can > be used to multiple binary packages.

Sounds great - this would be a fine equivalent.

Bruce