Subject: sudden instability on 1.6.1
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/28/2003 13:08:53
A 1.6.1 machine of mine has suddenly started crashing, for no apparent
reason.  For the last crash, I deliberately left it not running X, so
I could see any messages:

/tmp: got error 5 while accessing file system
panic: softdep_deallocate_dependencies: unrecovered I/O error

There were no messages indicating a hardware problem with the drive.

/tmp is mounted on /dev/sd1a.  The crash probably occurred when running
/etc/daily; after some of the other crashes, I've seen indications of
an I/O error on /tmp.

So -- is this a real I/O error?  I can read the partition using 'dd'.
Should I reinitialize it with newfs?  Copy /dev/zero to it and then
reinitialize?  Or is it a bug in softdep?  The problem occurred with a
1.6.1 kernel from March, and also with one from a week ago, both times
using the latest 1.6.x sources.