Subject: Bad bridge(4) performance
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Lloyd <strawberry@toth.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/21/2003 13:52:51
Hiya,

I have three netbsd 1.6.1/i386 machines set up next to each other. The middle
one has two network cards, and the two on either side connect to the middle
one with crossover cables.

iperf says I get about 91Mb/sec from machine 1 to machine 2, and from machine 2
to machine 3. But when I set up bridge(4) to connect the two interfaces on
machine 2 and iperf between machines 1 and 3, I get only 1.8Mb/sec.

I've just tried it with freebsd 5.1 on machine 2 and I get 72.9Mb/sec, which is
much more like what I was expecting.

Are there bits of the netbsd bridge interface I need to tune to make this work
properly? (TCP window sizes or something?)

Thanks in advance,

 - Chris

--
strawberry@toth.org.uk