Subject: Re: 3-D Solids CAD Program?
To: Thomas Runge <coto@core.de>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/18/2003 03:21:40
On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 08:39:47AM +0200, Thomas Runge wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Richard Rauch wrote:
>
> > One question is: What do you want this "3-D Solids CAD Program" to do?
>
> Thats the point, indeed.
>
> If you need a really sophisticated 3D modeller to do some really
> nice graphics (read: RenderMan), you should have a look at this:
>
> http://www.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~rschultz/ayam/

This looks cool.  (^&

The "BMRT" it mentions is the Blue Moon Ray-Tracer, I assume.  What's
that about it no longer being distributed?  Was it commercial and the
provider stopped selling it, or was it actively stomped by someone
else?  (For those who haven't followed the above URL, BMRT "is still
the recommended renderer for Ayam".)

> Plus, it's free. It requires tcl/tk and some time to learn, but

Might take a look at this.

How hard is it to use with aqsis (in pkgsrc)?  The Ayam web pages
sort of imply that it will "just work", and sort of imply that you
will need to adapt Ayam to make it work.