Subject: Re: wi* and/or pcmcia* at pci* decent vendor?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+netbsd-users@bjan.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/17/2003 23:04:24
On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 01:43:39AM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> Now, who knows when we'll ever see 802.11g or 802.11a support, as I've
> heard that the specs for all such chipsets are NDA-hidden (which is not
> shocking, given that BRCM has a near-monopoly on those two).  No big deal
> for me, yet.

I asked almost exactly the same thing on this list a week or so ago.
The Broadcom chips are paperweight, but there is a FreeBSD driver for
the Atheros a/b/g based devices. See:

http://bsd.slashdot.org/bsd/03/06/28/1810226.shtml?tid=137&tid=193

I was told privately that porting these to NetBSD would be "trivial."
I don't know whether I would describe it as quite that easy, but it
certainly shouldn't be too hard. Quoting a /. poster, the supported
cards are:

D-Link DWL-AB650 AR5211 Cardbus
D-Link DWL-AG520 AR5212 PCI
D-Link DWL-AG650 AR5212 Cardbus
Linksys WMP55AG AR5212 Cardbus
Linksys WPC51AB AR5211 Cardbus
Linksys WPC55AG AR5212 PCI
Netgear WAB501 AR5211 Cardbus
Netgear WAG511 AR5212 Cardbus

The D-Link card is $99 in Fry's Electronics right now. I'll buy one
the moment support appears in -current.

--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+JUNK@bjan.net>
+JUNK is a bit bucket - remove it to email me