Subject: Re: new pcmcia devices
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/10/2003 14:10:11
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> On a larger scale, though -- on Linux, adding the config information
> was as simple as adding
>
> card "AT&T I-card"
>   manfid 0xffff, 0x1090
>   bind "pcnet_cs"
>
> to /etc/pcmcia/config.  The issue of 0xffff aside, it would be nice if
> NetBSD had an external config file for such things, rather than
> hard-coded kernel tables.  BSD/OS has an external file, too.

FreeBSD also has a file for pcmcia configs at /etc/defaults/pccard.conf
with overrides in /etc/pccard.conf.

It has configs like:

# Linksys Combo PCMCIA Ethernet Card
card "LINKSYS" "E-CARD"
        config  auto "ed" ? 0x10
        logstr  "Linksys Combo Ethernet Card"
        insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device start
        remove  /etc/pccard_ether $device stop

and:

# MELCO LPC-TX
card "MELCO/SMC" "LPC-TX"
        config  auto "sn" ?
        ether   0x4a # 00:a0:dc
        insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device start
        remove  /etc/pccard_ether $device stop

Here is the man page:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pccard.conf&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD%205.1-RELEASE&format=html
which also links to the man page for the PC-CARD (PCMCIA) management
daemon.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

p.s. this reminds me: on one of my laptops I couldn't install FreeBSD 5.x
from floppy because new cardbus didn't recognize or setup my pcmcia card.
So I had to install using old FreeBSD 4.x floppy. Then cvsup source,
configure kernel to include OLDCARD support, and do buildkernel and
buildworld (and installs) to move to 5.x. That took over 24 hours :(