Subject: Re: netbsd live problems on 1.6.1
To: =?iso-8859-1?B?SvZyZyBCcmF1bg==?= <jb@toolbox-mag.de>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/03/2003 16:40:02
In message <002401c341a1$ab71ae00$0400a8c0@joerg>, =?iso-8859-1?B?SvZyZyBCcmF1b
g==?= writes:
>Steve,
>
>I built the CD system on NetBSD 1.6 release. When I began working on the 1.6
>version I had prereleases of NetBSD 1.6 installed. On this version I had
>exactly the same problems that you described: the nb* files where missing.
>It seems for me that there are some differences in the so called "release
>versions" and the others. But these programs are only new and renamed
>versions of the standard programs.
>
>It did these steps some time ago but I believe a workaround would be to
>build the floppy images separately and copy them to the target directory.
>The make steps should stop with errors and the script should continue with
>the next step of the production. In principle it's not necessary to build
>the floppies in this way. It was only the easiest way for me in my many test
>runs when I built the CD-ROM to built the floppy images automatically. And I
>even do not know if the floppy kernel config files work with 1.6.1.

I think that that will work; the problem is that I don't know how to
build the floppies images separately.  I'm going to look at the build
scripts more closely -- I have more experience building -current, of
course, since I do it so often.

>> The relevant lines from mk.conf are
>>
>> BSDOBJDIR=/usr/obj
>> BSDSRCDIR=/usr/src
>> MKOBJDIRS=yes
>>
>> though /usr/obj doesn't seem to be used by what I did.
>
>I did not use mk.conf. I worked with the old build procedure and set the
>variables manually in the script.
>At the moment I have no NetBSD 1.6.1 running, only the 1.6 system where I
>built NetBSD Live. And I have not enough free time to install it and see
>what's wrong in the script when it's used with NetBSD 1.6.1. But I will see
>what I can do and how I can assist you.

Thanks.  I don't think the mk.conf variables are relevant, but I
thought I'd mention them for completeness sake.

>Best regards
>
>Joerg Braun
>
>P.S.: Did you try the ftp version and did it work? Some people had trouble
>with obscure hardware.

I tried it on one machine; X wasn't right, and I haven't pursued it.
I don't have access yet to the actual target machine, so I don't know
if it will work or not.  (My daughter is going to be at school this
summer, and wants a friendly environment for running LaTeX.)  I will
try it on some other machines at home tonight.