Subject: wi* and/or pcmcia* at pci* decent vendor?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/02/2003 20:45:04
I want to get either my PCMCIA WaveLAN card or a direct PCI card into a
NetBSD/i386 1.6.1 box, and I keep finding the goddamned Broadcom chipsets
everywhere these days.  No one seems to be using the friggin' Prism anymore.
What's more, I can't seem to find a PCI->PCMCIA adapter that is probed and
works with 1.6.1 GENERIC.

(I've looked at Linksys, DLink, and Netgear as top brands, as well as a few
others.  Even the Linksys WMP11, which used the Prism chipset for the
longest time, is now using the Broadcom chip, product 0x4301.  I know some
people who read this list are in fact Broadcom employees, which makes me
wonder why they're using *anything* open-source -- but I'll leave my
hatred of Broadcom's notorious NDAs for another time....)

Can someone recommend a good place to get a real Prism PCI card that works
with "wi* at pci*", or a decent price (that means < US$60) PCI->PCMCIA
adapter that is known to work with one of the various pcmcia* device
attachments in NetBSD?

I'm not subscribed here, so please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks!

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>