Subject: Re: IP on bridge interface?
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/17/2003 12:12:57
> I don't think it breaks the idea of bridge if it has an IP address. It still is passive, and forwards the frames to the
> destination ethernet address, which in this case would be one of the bridge's two NICs, or any other computer in the
> network. The interface bridge0 would have two ethernet addresses assigned. I am no expert in coding, but I don't see why
> the bridge driver doesn't include support this, like the linux version.

I run a machine as a bridge between two ethernet interfaces, one of which
has an IP address assigned (OK, it has an alias IP too).  It just works.
Also, because it's a sparc, the two interfaces have the same ethernet (MAC)
address.  But that doesn't matter, as the MAC address(es) of the bridge are
not relevant when bridging traffic.

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/