Subject: Re: Help Me Understand Serial Ports...
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Alex Dumitriu <alex@bitblot.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/20/2003 12:49:33
(Quoting myself at the end for background)

I'm trying to set up a console server on NetBSD_1.6.1RC2 on i386. I have
several devices connected to ports on a SIIG 4S PCI Serial expander card.
I can't get any of those devices to work properly. When tip-ed in, I see
recognizable bits with lots of garbage in between. I've twiddled just
about every termios setting and tried multiple connection methods (tip,
kermit, minicom, conserver) but I can't get it to work.

So I beat my head against this for a while and found out the following:

Things work fine on the system's built-in serial ports, with the same
settings described below. The problem is confined to ports on the SIIG 4S
board. Also, I am seeing silo overflows on the SIIG ports. I assume that
this is directly related to the garbage I see on consoles connected to
those ports.

So then, where can I go from here? Is there any way to manipulate the
buffer on this card? What else can I try?

Thanks in advance...

Alex Dumitriu