Subject: Kernel Version Naming
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: leam <leam@reuel.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/21/2003 05:05:54
Okay, still working on the diskBackup script. Volker sent an improvment,
but I'm trying to make it more general. The issue is that the September
release (1.6H) has a problem with dump/restore. The -current I got a
couple weeks ago (1.6N) does not.

So I'm trying to parse the results of uname -r and keep the tests
general enough that it exits as soon as possible. But if I use "cut", to
   take out the parts, I must depend on the version scheme being the
same "One digit Major, dot, one digit minor, one uppercase alpha". That
would seem to have a problem for two digit minor numbers (1.10), or
third digit patchlevels (1.5.2).

Is there a better way to query the kernel version? Am I misunderstanding
the naming scheme?

ciao!

leam the still trying to figure it out