Subject: Re: not there yet Re: IA64?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/13/2003 13:36:14
Quoting Brad Spencer (brad@anduin.eldar.org):
> The Alpha was nevered mentioned, and since the HP guy hated Sun,
> nothing good was ever said about the Sparc.

Yeah, that always extends credibility for me...
"I've spouting these "facts" based on faith and opinion"...

>A short time after the HP visit, Sun
> visited us and the future of the Sparc seems fine.

  Well, following the usual Sun pattern, now that the Ultra3 (due
1999) is finally out, we'll see some token speed increases until
they are deeply lagging the competition.
  Then they'll wait 3 years for the next generation.

We saw this with the Ultra (coming out to replace 150MHz
HyperSparc and similar chips while Intel was running 300MHz
for far cheaper.  300MHz Intel will match HyperSparcs in all
but floating point.)  We've seen this back to SPARC 2's costing
$25k when 486's were costing "only" $5000.

And while the Unix wars were fought, Sun pissing on SGI
pissing on HP pissing on IBM, the customers went to Windows.
Good job.