Subject: Re: bad sectors on drives ...
To: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mail.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/12/2001 22:09:46
In message <20011213150820.D16343@fastmail.fm>, Malcolm Herbert writes:

>I found badsect just after I'd sent the original email, unfortunately
>the manual implies you have to give up on ever doing non-interactive
>fscks again:
>
>|badsect is used on a quiet file system in the following way: First mount
>|the file system, and change to its root directory.  Make a directory BAD
>|there.  Run badsect giving as argument the BAD directory followed by all
>|the bad sectors you wish to add.  The sector numbers must be relative to
>|the beginning of the file system, but this is not hard as the system re-
>|ports relative sector numbers in its console error messages.  Then change
>|back to the root directory, unmount the file system and run fsck(8) on
>|the file system.  The bad sectors should show up in two files or in the
>|bad sector files and the free list.  Have fsck(8) remove files containing
>|the offending bad sectors, but do not have it remove the BAD/nnnnn files.
>|This will leave the bad sectors in only the BAD files.
>
>I'm not sure I want to do that ...

No, I think you're misreading it.  badsect will create a situation
where certain sectors are in two files.  fsck will repair that
situation; the guidance above is to tell you to tell fsck which file
should keep the sectors, and which shouldn't.  After that, everything
will look consistent.

		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com